Changelog for Pup214R
- Added extra boot menu and boot options.
- Updated zdrv to include some newer modules (courtesy of
- Init scripts:
- Made all debug output much more verbose, so pfix=debug can tell
us what freezes the system. Also means info in /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log
and /tmp/bootsysinit.log is much more informative for finding bugs.
- File-searching code re-written to work faster and find
everything available (enables different Puppy files to be on different
- Offer the user a choice of pup_save file.
- Select sfs files according to their position (in same
directory as pup_save ; same partition ; any).
- New boot options:
Do not load sfs into ram (for low ram machines).
Run periodic filesystem checks on Linux partitions (partition with
pup_save at bootup, others at shutdown).
Don't load apm module (even if no acpi).
Don't load FireWire modules.
Don't load said modules (pci, usb and firewire).
- ide1=0x180,0x386 nopcmcia
acpi=off: Boot from certain Sony PCMCIA CD drives.
- Boot off "exotic" filesystems: hfs, hfsplus, ufs, vxfs, sysv,
befs (jfs and xfs have huge modules, so left out).
- Added psubdir compatibility (defaults to "puppy" and "boot").
- Ask user if they want to upgrade when booting with a pup_save
from an older version. Also perform a "light" upgrade (don't remove
users files...) -- proper upgrade can be performed with "pfix=clean").
- Added usage of encrypted pup_save files.
- /etc/rc.d scripts:
- Cleaned up the code, making it faster, fixing some little
quirks that caused problems under some setups.
- Updated rc.alsa to match ALSA version (also updated the other
files that didn't match the library version).
- Improved loading of pci and usb modules.
- Added autoloading of Firewire modules.
- Updated puppyserialdetect and mouse-detection code.
- Improved detection of optical media.
- Added encryption option for pup_save.
- Various little fixes and improvements.
- Added more keymaps (=more languages to choose from).
- Adds "us" as second keyboard to non-English cases (adds
xkb-variant where needed).
- Screen-out multiple screen entries (to solve nVidia problems).
- Better selection of default resolution.
- Created textual xvesa-wizard, so resolution can be selected
before starting X (also adds support for 915resolution).
- Updated JWM to most recent version (2.0.1).
- Added fbxkb in system-tray if more than one xkb layout is
- Created new background setter (also added right-click option
for images in Rox).
- Added light-weight gtk1/2 themes + matching of JWM and Tcl/Tk
apps to current theme.
- Added HotPup for easy mounting/unmounting of devices.
- Updated Pmount.
- Updated various scripts to use gtkdialog3/gxmessage and fix
- Moved all appdirs from /usr/share to /usr/share/apps and
updated to recent versions.
- Moved icons to standard paths (mini-icons to
/usr/local/share/icons, pixmaps to /usr/share/pixmaps), so they are
seen by xdg implementations of different window-managers (XFCE etc.).
- Re-arranged xdg menus, trying to make them neater (but
categories are still the same for compatibility with pet packages).
- Hacked jwm-xdgmenu to solve problem with "foreign" .desktop
files that don't have an extension to the icon name.
- Removed excess "find" apps -- left only Pfind (most recent) and
- Removed some games -- added SheepPool, Sol (Solitaire), Tktris
(Tetris) and Xmahjongg.
- Replaced all calculators with new (hacked) version of
- Replaced grabc and ColorExplorer with Gcolor2.
- Replaced Xarchive with Xarchiver (hacked for lzma support) and
re-wrote Pupzip to use it and work better (using "file" command to
determine type, rather than extension).
- Updated Rox, moved config files to standard locations, fixed
and added many mime-types.
- Replaced Gtksee with GQview.
- Updated qiv and made it default for opening images. Also added
key-bindings: "1" for opening file in GQview ; "2" for opening in
MtPaint ; "3" for setting as wallpaper.
- Updated Flash to version 9.
- Many more man-pages added.
- Updated Network Wizard.
- Replaced cdrecord with cdrkit (from Nathan) and added new
CD/DVD wizard (based on Nathan's).
- Added mpg321, replacing the mpg123 link to Gxine.
- Replaced "eject" with a hacked version that works with links
- Added Abiword "us" spellcheck package and turned-on
spellchecking by default.
- Added various device nodes (hd[e-g], ub[a-f]...)
- Added librsvg (2.14.4), for svg support in Rox and Gtk apps.
- Puppy-specific apps updated to
latest versions: prename-0.6,
pmirror-0.2, pbackup-3.0.0, soxgui-0.9, pupdvdtool-0.8,
pupctorrent-0.7, pfind-2.2, pbcdripper-2.5
- Various packages updated:
e2fsprogs-1.40.2, module-init-tools-3.3-pre11, pciutils-2.2.5,
pcmciautils-0.14, wpa_supplicant-0.5.8, disktype-9, Geany-0.12
(hacked), glipper-0.95.1, MtPaint-3.11, RutilT-0.14, parted-1.8.6,
Gparted-0.3.3, Firelog-1.2.3, dhcpcd-3.1.4, mp-3.3.18b, tkdvd-4.0.6,